What is Parkinson’s disease?
Parkinson's disease is a degenerative disorder that affects the patient's motor system. It gradually afflicts the person and can be seen by symptoms like shaking, slowness of movement and rigidity. Parkinson’s affects the vital nerve cells in the brain which are responsible for movement and coordination, and once they are destroyed they may lead to a person being unable to control their movement.
What are the symptoms of Parkinson's disease?
- A person may find that they may be feeling tremors, rigidity, and slowness of movement.
- The fine motor control of the patient may also be affected over time and it leads to the slowness of their movement.
- There may be postural instability and the patient may struggle to try and balance themselves.
- There may also be complex symptoms such as speech disorders and mood behavior problems.
- The patient's memory is also affected by this disorder.
- Parkinson's disease is also associated with dementia. It reduces people’s quality of life and it leads to an increase in the mortality rate.
What is the cause of Parkinson's disease?
The main cause of Parkinson’s due to genetic factors, but there are other significant factors as well. Environmental factors also have a role in causing this degenerative disorder. Exposure to pesticides and chemicals, head injuries, heavy metals and gene mutations are all causes that can lead to the creation of this disease.
How can you prevent Parkinson's?
There is no fixed cure for this disease. There are different anti-Parkinson medications that can be taken to gradually slow down the progression of this disease. The patient can also make efforts on their part to curb the factors that lead to the problem. Use of caffeine and tobacco have been shown to have positive effects on patients with Parkinson’s. The patients are recommended to exercise regularly so as to improve their flexibility and maintain their strength. It also helps to reduce the rigidity in their muscle movements as well. Patients are also recommended to try speech therapy. The main thing that can be offered to patients who are facing this disease, is palliative care. There are many steps that can be taken to improve their quality of life and spare them the pain that comes with the disorder.
If you find that you are facing the problems mentioned above, then it is pertinent to find a neurological specialist who can guide you. If appropriate care is taken, then this condition can be improved significantly and be arrested before the disease progresses any further.
Get in touch with a recommended neurologist in the bay area and call us today at 408-241-4210 to book an appointment with Mohammed F. Ahmed, M.D.!